Inspired by some exploration of the world.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Expectations

Figuring out how to readjust my expectations for school performance. See the graphs.

Top graph. In college, I could get A's without too much effort. So I set my satisficing bar (the dotted line) at an A, and put in the effort required to pass that bar.

Bottom graph. In grad school, an A is no longer feasible. (Well maybe it could be, but that amount of effort is not feasible.) So the question becomes, where do I set the bar? Do I shoot for B's or shoot for C's? (I'm still figuring out how much effort is required to achieve different levels of results.)

3 comments:

allovertheeowl said...

lol i like how you at least required SOME effort to do well in undergrad. i say you have to balance things...which is obvious to an economics grad student. weigh the value of working hard for that A against working not as hard for a B. if you don't work hard for the A what will you spend your time and energy doing. what's the overall value (short-term and long-term) of getting the A?

mermel said...

Your satisficing line should be passing prelims on the kth try, k in {1,2,...,max attempt at NYU), where k is decreasing in effort. God I hate how I talk now.

Grades on your courses don't matter, and doesnt everyone get at least a B?

Demers said...

Thanks for the comments guys.

To answer's Ben's question, I think C's are given out. I'm not sure.
Thanks for your alternate formulation. I am making the assumption that a C implies I will pass the prelims on the first try.

After further review, I think I will spend the extra time required to upgrade from a C to a B on other pursuits which will enable perspective and sanity. I think this will have the best long-term payoff.

About Me

My photo
Student at NYU, pursuing a PhD in economics.