Inspired by some exploration of the world.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

The brain

Saw my parents this weekend, which was fantastic. Them and my sister and brother-in-law, family.

This morning we got on the topic of alcohol and the brain. My sister told a story about Christopher Hitchens drinking two Johnnie Walker blues before a lunch lecture. Apparently he is famous for performing best with a little bit in him.

My dad pointed out that alcohol has a two-part effect on the brain. First it opens up blood vessels in the brain, and it's actually easier to remember things, which is part of why we get so talkative after a drink or two. Then later, the alcohol closes blood vessels, and that's why we shouldn't drink more than a couple drinks, and why hangovers make you dumbbb.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Student at NYU, pursuing a PhD in economics.