Inspired by some exploration of the world.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Economies of scale and waste

I used to feel guilty about wasting foods. But I believe this sense of guilt, combined with the wonders of economies of scale, is at least partly to blame for the amount of obesity in our country. So recently, I have been teaching myself to enjoy wasting food or beverage when I know it would be overkill to eat or drink it all. For example, this morning, I dumped half a cup of coffee down the sink. (It was half-gleeful, still half cringe-ful, I admit.)
I guess they call this process of deliberately, consciously re-teaching what is "good" "cognitive behavioral therapy," and it can also be used, (like music), to close the gaps between tribes.

2 comments:

ellie said...

Wouldn't it be more enjoyable to eat it later than throw it away?

You could put the coffee in the fridge, microwave it later, and get a second round of enjoyment out of it even better than the joy of tossing it out, while still not overindulging.

Demers said...

It's not good microwaved. But I appreciate your recycling-orientation and agree that "save-for-later" is also good CBT practice.

About Me

My photo
Student at NYU, pursuing a PhD in economics.